Saturday, July 20, 2013

Around Manhattan

Roommate: Where did you bike today?
Me: Around Manhattan. 
Roomie: Oh whereabouts?
Me:... No, literally around Manhattan

I did it! To be honest this was the item on my list that I was most excited about but also dreaded the most. The Hudson Greenway is well paved and put together and if you veer off into any of the parks you can easily follow the signs back. I head heard that the East River trail was horribly labeled, paved, and put together..... and the rumors were true.

You can see my route here. It was 30 hot and sweaty miles around "the island" but it was well worth it! The East River ride was not very enjoyable, a very narrow walkway is shared with pedestrians and let me tell you, I had a few close calls. I did get to bike closely around the United Nations and got to see all the east side bridges (I love bridges!!). I also saw the Roosevelt Island Tram for the first time and decided to add that to my list. It looks like so much fun and I recently found out that you can use your Metrocard! Yippee!

I think my favorite part of the ride was through Harlem and Washington Heights on St. Nicholas Ave. It was beautiful and quiet. Good ol' Historic Harlem filled with large beautiful houses, gorgeous parks and churches, and a well paved bike lane. Everyone was very bike friendly as well. I actually had someone "wave me" in front of them! That's the first time that's happened to me in NYC. I had never been all the way up to Washington Heights before (although I was considering living there when apt hunting) It was gorgeous as well! I stumbled upon quite a few public gardens and parks that were some of the most beautiful I've seen in the city (Swindler Cove). They also had most of their fire hydrant spray caps on so I was able to get some cool mists as I rode past. It was quite a relief from the heat!

Tunnel in Fort Tryon Park, Washington Heights
Serious Rocks, Washington Heights




















After I got onto the Hudson Greenway, I made 2 stops. The first was at The Jeffery's Hook Lighthouse, aka The Little Red Lighthouse. I actually didn't know it existed until a few weeks ago and was so excited to see it! It looks so cute and little underneath the GW Bridge. The next stop I made was to Grant's Tomb. There wasn't much to see but it was beautiful. They did have some old Civil War flags on display which I found fascinating. It was FREE and fun to look around, and a great place to cool off for a bit. After that, it was a straight shot down the Hudson Green way, down and around Battery Park, and under the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges. Then I hopped back on the subway at stop where I started. I was totally the stinky person on the train but it was TOTALLY worth it.

The Little Red Lighthouse

Looking so tiny under the GW Bridge




















"Grant's Tomb"


Art around the walls



















Today was a fantastic adventure. I saw so much of New York and have even added a few items to the list for the future! I love this city!



Summer To-Do List
Ride the Roosevelt Island Tram
Explore Randall's Island
Bike from Westhampton to Montauk
Visit Washington DC
Try Stand Up Paddle Boarding
Explore Governor's Island
Explore Roosevelt Island
Visit the NY Botanical Gardens
Run the steps in Morningside Park
Try the Trapeze
Explore Greenwood Cemetery
Bike the Manhattan Greenway Loop
Visit Grant's Tomb
Mountain Biking
See Kaaterskill Falls
Explore St. Patrick's Cathedral and the Cathedral of St. John the Divine
Bike to 2 different beaches in 1 weekend
Bike from my house to the Rockaways
Summit Mt. Taurus
Hike Breakneck Ridge and not break my neck
Explore all the Central Park sites





So happy to head back to Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment