Saturday, February 15, 2014

So Much To See and Do!

So as you may have read I will be moving to Alabama this summer. Why you ask? Because my boyfriend of 4 years is in the Army, and that's where he's headed.

When Peter found out he branched Aviation in November, I was ecstatic but still not sure if I would go with him or remain here in NY. Life is great here. I love my friends and am absolutely in love with my job, and just wasn't sure if I was ready to leave. After months of discussion, and many pros and cons lists, I decided I was ready to make the move. So when Peter found out his report date a few weeks ago I felt a bit more like this...

So the move is happening. We don't have an exact date yet, but it's happening and I am very excited about it. Before meeting Peter I had made 2 large moves on my own. The first from MN to Charleston, SC and the second from Charleston, SC to Charlotte, NC. After meeting Peter and graduating with my M.Ed I thought, " NYC?! Heck Yes!" So I packed up once again and drove a large truck from NC all the way to the Big Apple by my lonesome. I like the process of moving, but this time around am a bit concerned about the culture shock of leaving NYC and moving to rural AL ... more on that later.

 In the meantime my desire to explore New York City has gone into overdrive. I have so much left to see and not much time to do it. For me, step one for just about anything is to make a list. So I've revamped my NYC To-Do List from this summer. It's a hefty list but I am confident I can make it happen.

I will keep everyone updated on the moving situation as well as my upcoming adventures in the city. It's going to be a very exciting and busy few months.

NYC To-Do List

Astoria Beer Garden
Ride my bike down the Bronx River Path
Visit the Guggenheim
Explore the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge on my bike
See the Montauk Lighthouse
Bike around (not literally) on Staten Island
Complete a 5-borough Bike ride
Explore Pelham Bay Park
Relax at Far Rockaway Beach
Explore Astoria
Explore Central Park above 86th St. 
Take the Staten Island Ferry
Run the steps in Morningside Park
Visit Washington DC
Bike to the North Fork of Long Island
Do more exploring in Fort Tryon Park
Visit Green Acre Park
Visit the Cloister Museum
Go to a race at the Belmont
Visit the Titanic Memorial
Visit the African Burial Grounds
Visit Brooklyn Brewery
Go to the Brooklyn Flea Market
Go to a taping of The Daily Show or the Colbert Report
Go to a Speakeasy Bar
Bike around Red Hook Piers
See more Broadway or Off-Broadway shows
Do more Walking Tours with Nan (Brain Droppings)
Visit Watkins Glen
Try Stand Up Paddle Boarding
Try the Trapeze
Bike from Westhampton to Montauk
Drink at McSorleys 
Explore Roosevelt Island
Ride the Roosevelt Island Tram
Explore Governor's Island
Explore Greenwood Cemetery
Bike the Manhattan Greenway Loop
Visit Grant's Tomb
Mountain Biking
See Kaaterskill Falls
Explore St. Patrick's Cathedral and the Cathedral of St. John the Divine
Bike to 2 different beaches in 1 weekend
Bike from my house to the Rockaways
Summit Mt. Taurus
Hike Breakneck Ridge and not break my neck

Explore all the Central Park sites


No comments:

Post a Comment